From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:20:24
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Assuming dynamic dependencies don't exist, another package would still
4 > depend on the USE flag in the vdb; the only way to force that USE flag
5 > dependency to go away is with an unnecessarily rebuilding rev bump, as
6 > without it it would complain that the USE flag doesn't exist.
7
8 Yes, this is a typical example:
9 After every adding or removing of a python version
10 (I am not speaking about *installed* versions)
11 with the new policy every package depending on some python
12 needs to be bumped.
13 This demonstrates very well what I said:
14 With the new policy you would have to recompile
15 your whole system about once a week.
16
17 I rather prefer to have a system which perhaps very rarely
18 forces me to use revdep-rebuild (which cannot be omitted
19 anyway, as shown in my previous posting) than to have a
20 permanently outdated system, without having any possibility
21 to know what *really* needs to be updated or is only update
22 because of the broken "static deps" idea.