From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 03:38:43
1 On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:40:59 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Hi everyone,
8 >
9 > I've written a patch for portage [1] that implements per-package
10 > default USE flags at both the ebuild and profile levels (discussed a
11 > couple of months ago [2] on this list). At the ebuild level, default
12 > flags are specified in IUSE with a + prefix as described in bug
13 > #61732 [3]. At the profile level, I've added support for package.use
14 > which behaves like /etc/portage/package.use that everyone is familiar
15 > with. The intention is that the IUSE defaults will be used for
16 > default flags that should be enabled regardless of profile. Then,
17 > package.use will be used for flags that might vary depending on the
18 > profile. For example, a server profile might enable server flags and
19 > a desktop profile might enable client flags.
20 >
21 > Aside from being package specific, the per-package default USE flags
22 > behave much like USE flags that are currently listed in profiles'
23 > make.defaults. The flags are stacked incrementally as usual. The
24 > ebuild level defaults are at the bottom of the stack, followed by
25 > make.defaults, and finally package.use. The user can override these
26 > new flags in the same was as make.defaults USE flags could always be
27 > overridden (make.conf and package.use).
28 >
29 > Should we include support in portage for one or both types of
30 > per-package default USE flags? If support is included for IUSE
31 > defaults now, we won't be able to use them in the tree until after a
32 > waiting period or an EAPI bump [4].
33
34 I think adding both is fine, assuming that profile package.use
35 overrides the IUSE defaults. Though not sure if "pkginternal" should
36 come before or after the "defaults" in USE_ORDER, both make some sense
37 to me (but that's a detail that's trivial to change, so don't get
38 distracted by it too much).
39
40 Marius
45 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
46 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
47 --
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list