From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 03:33:18
1 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 08:13:23PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wednesday 24 April 2013 13:23:23 William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:58:21PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
6 > > > > On 24/04/13 12:16 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
7 > > > > > it has been suggested that gentoo's oldnet scripts be split out
8 > > > > > into their own package separate from OpenRC so that they can be
9 > > > > > developed independently. I am looking at doing this for OpenRC
10 > > > > > 0.12, which I hope to release soon.
11 > > > > >
12 > > > > > This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.*
13 > > > > > scripts will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate
14 > > > > > package that includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > My plan is to write a newsitem when OpenRC 0.12 is released
17 > > > > > telling users this and that they will have to emerge gentoo-oldnet
18 > > > > > to get the gentoo networking scripts or turn on the newnet (maybe
19 > > > > > I'll change this to net) use flag to get OpenRC's network scripts
20 > > > > > installed and put ewarns in the ebuild if this use flag is turned
21 > > > > > off.
22 > > > > >
23 > > > > > I feel that a newsitem and ewarns in the OpenRC ebuild cover live
24 > > > > > systems well. In a nutshell, users should pay attention to their
25 > > > > > news items and ewarns.
26 > > > > >
27 > > > > > On the other hand, some are suggesting that I should add a runtime
28 > > > > > dependency to OpenRC so that it pulls in gentoo-oldnet. Since
29 > > > > > OpenRC doesn't need gentoo-oldnet in order to run, I feel like this
30 > > > > > would be abusing dependencies.
31 > > > > >
32 > > > > > Does anyone have any thoughts?
33 > > > >
34 > > > > Current users should be able to do a -uDN and still have their
35 > > > > existing systems work as-is. Whether you do this via a static
36 > > > > dependency or one controlled by a use flag (and be sure use flag
37 > > > > defaults would have oldnet installed by default) is up to you.
38 > > >
39 > > > The issue is that OpenRC does not have any kind of dependency on
40 > > > gentoo-oldnet at all. There will be a separate loopback script in OpenRC
41 > > > so it is possible to run OpenRC on a system without the oldnet or
42 > > > newnet scripts. In fact, this is a completely valid configuration.
43 > > >
44 > > > OpenRC doesn't "link" to gentoo-oldnet in any way, so there is no
45 > > > dependency.
46 > > >
47 > > > The way I read the dev manual [1], a newsitem and postinst messages are
48 > > > the way to go for somethinglike this.
49 > >
50 > > it is reasonable to expect openrc updates to *not* break a system. that
51 > > means
52 > > people shouldn't be required to read a news/postinst message to keep from
53 > > killing things.
56 > So my understanding is that WIlliam does not want to break peoples shit. He
57 > doesn't want to maintain oldnet anymore. Other people do. What he wants to
58 > do is move oldnet out of openrc. I think that means that:
59 > openrc will no longer contain oldnet.
60 > openrc ebuilds will need to depend on <something> to make networking work.
61 > A brief discussion with him in chat seems to imply that oldnet is still
62 > fine. So in Gentoo we could just set IUSE="+oldnet" or similar, and it
63 > would get pulled in.
64
65 I'll be involved in maintaining oldnet, but there are others (mainly
66 robbat2) who want to be able to release new versions of oldnet
67 separately from OpenRC, and to look into porting it to systemd.
68
69 I don't have a problem with the IUSE="+oldnet" issue if no one else
70 does, it just seemed sort of backward to me, using a use flag to pull in
71 something that really isn't a dependency.
72
73 But this would mean we can forget about any virtuals.
74
75 William
76
77 > Someone may need to fix up the stages to work (I thought they relied on
78 > USE="-*" which would entail missing out on oldnet here.)
79
80 Yes, I was planning to get with Jorge before this hits stable and figure
81 out what needs to happen.
86 > > even then, a default Gentoo system should have networking support
87 > > available by
88 > > default. our manuals assume this, and people shouldn't have to install a
89 > > stage3 and then do `emerge gentoo-oldnet` just to have that happen. so
90 > > keeping a dependency in openrc (perhaps initially hard, or behind
91 > > IUSE=+oldnet) makes sense.
92 > > -mike
95 > Yeah after discussing in chat, I don't think the intention was to 'get
96 > everyone off of oldnet' but simply to move it out of openrc and into
97 > dedicated packages with maintainers that care about it.
98 >
99 > -A