From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for an alternative portage tree sync method
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:55:14
1 On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 07:15 +0000, Ricardo Correia wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Please read the following proposal, I think you'll be interested:
4 >
5 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2218914.html
6 >
7 > If you could reply in the forum, it would be great :)
8
9 So ...
10
11 zsync is basically rsync over http without a "server daemon".
12
13 To facilitate the file transfers the original poster wants to create a
14 ISO file from /usr/portage and sync to that.
15
16 A few problems:
17 - that .iso and the .zsync metadata need to be generated. More load on
18 master server
19 - isos don't allow easy access, e.g. writing a few bytes for a tricial
20 bugfix
21 - mkisofs might shuffle the data so that transferring one large file
22 might cause more traffic than rsync does now
23
24 I don't see the advantages over tar + binary diffs.
25
26 Personally I like the idea of alternative synchronization mechanisms,
27 but rsync (sucky as it is) still seems to be the least sucky we have
28 found yet ;-)
29
30 Patrick