From: Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy-dev (an alternative to sunrise?)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:10:45
1 On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:51:46 -0700 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Robert Cernansky wrote:
4 > > If I have some application that is not included in portage why
5 > > I decide to make an ebuild? Because I hope that then it will be
6 > > accepted and included to portage, so maintained by developers (big
7 > > thanks for this). If I have to take care of package + ebuild +
8 > > dependencies, I'll rather choose not to make an ebulid but compile
9 > > package right from .tar.gz archive.
10 >
11 > Many people disagree with you here, that's why overlays
12 > exist. Somebody wants to use Portage to manage ebuilds that aren't
13 > yet in the actual tree.
14
15 Yes, it have sense for a larger set of packages (maybe) with
16 complicated depenencies. But I'm talking about few single packages.
17
18 OK, maybe I'd do some dirty ebuild but it will certainly not be ready
19 for any publication.
20
21 Robert
25 Robert Cernansky