From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ferringb@×××××.com, axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Addressing GLEP-62 itself
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 09:56:28
1 On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 03:29:17 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:02:44AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:54:39 -0700
6 > > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:58:07PM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
9 > > > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:47:33 -0400
10 > > > > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
11 > > > >
12 > > > > > Based on the above I do expect the reference implementation would also
13 > > > > > need to change. I expect, for instance, that the PM's
14 > > > > > metadata-handling would need to occur as normal even though none of
15 > > > > > the package's phase functions would run, that is, *DEPEND
16 > > > > > (realistically RDEPEND as that should be the only one affected here,
17 > > > > > maybe PDEPEND too) and USE/PKGUSE would get updated. Since portage
18 > > > > > would not be re-emerging the package from the tree the original ebuild
19 > > > > > would remain.
20 > > > >
21 > > > > Yes, unless I'm missing something that's the intent. I will re-read
22 > > > > and update the GLEP a bit sometime this week.
23 > > >
24 > > > There's a fairly strong user interaction component here, along w/
25 > > > potential nastyness for ebuilds (the proposal assume that a flag will
26 > > > be toggable in all cases within an ebuild if IUSE_RUNTIME specified; I
27 > > > guarantee instances where that fails can be found in the tree if a
28 > > > basic audit was done). Additionally, this *is* useless if it's done
29 > > > in a form the UI an't display/handle; Ciaran may bitch about
30 > > > REQUIRED_USE's UI (which I knew going in was going to be
31 > > > problematic, just to be clear), but he's right on that front.
32 >
33 > ^^^ This point still needs addressing.
34
35 What kind of addressing? The user interaction works like usual --
36 portage lists a bunch of flags, some of them may have additional
37 hammers or sickles to mean that they will not trigger the rebuild.
38 Nothing more is required.
39
40 What is even more important, there is nothing new to learn
41 for the user. In fact, he doesn't need anything new from UI. He will
42 just set the flag like he did 10 years ago.
43
44 > > > Additionally, this needs to be thought out how it'll interact with
45 > > > eclasses; what stacking, etc. It doesn't cover the basics there to
46 > > > say the least.
47 > >
48 > > The proposal didn't cover eclasses at all. Is there a need to do so or
49 > > are we chasing some kind of perfection based on filling all unused
50 > > slots?
51 >
52 > Eclass stacking here matters; if it's stacked, it means ebuilds have
53 > to use out of bound (ie, other vars) to tell the eclass when it
54 > shouldn't mark a flag as runtime toggable. If it's not stacked by
55 > the pm, then they have to manually stack; that differs from the norm
56 > and makes it easier to screwup; however; does allow for them to
57 > filter, albeit a slight pain in the ass doing so.
58 >
59 > There's a choice there, and the answer matters, so yes, you should
60 > actually have a complete glep before trying to shove it up to the
61 > council and extract a vote out of them. Lest the intention is to just
62 > have them kick it back to the curb...
63
64 As others have said, we're not stacking it. Using it in eclasses
65 is whacky and should be avoided. End of the story.
66
67 > > > Pretty much, this needs an implementation, partial conversion of the
68 > > > tree to demonstrate it.
69 > > >
70 > > > Just to prove that fricking point; if you had tried implementing this,
71 > > > a full investigation of what's involved alone, you'd have spotted that
72 > > > the core of the proposal is based on a wrong assumption.
73 > > >
74 > > > Portage doesn't write unfinalized DEPEND/RDEPEND/PDEPEND to the VDB.
75 > >
76 > > There's a footnote there, saying:
77 > >
78 > > The package manager has to ensure that all relevant information is
79 > > stored in the installed package metadata.
80 >
81 > Frankly I don't fully buy that you were aware of this issue from the
82 > start of the proposal; the wording partially covers it however.
83 > Ddoesn't call it out, but via tha req it dumps it on the package
84 > manager developers heads to sort it- which already is the case.
85 > Binpkgs minimally weren't addressed which is why I still don't think
86 > this was actually spotted up front.
87
88 We talked about it, don't you remember? That's why I have updated
89 the spec and put the whole implementation details thing with special
90 note what needs to be stored in metadata.
93 Best regards,
94 Michał Górny