From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] OpenRc-0.12 is coming soon
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 18:12:22
1 On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
4 > >
5 > > sys-apps/etckeeper is what you want. Works great. It even has portage
6 > > integration. Though I'd recommend going with the ~arch version instead
7 > > of stable for that portion.
8 > >
9 > > --
10 > > Doug Goldstein
11 >
12 > I think this is something dispatch-conf does too. I use that but still
13 > make a backup myself, just in case. Generally, a successful reboot is a
14 > good sign that the configs are working.
15 >
16 > Going to look into this but the home page doesn't really show me much, yet.
20 You'll want USE=cron enabled so that you get the benefits of etckeeper
21 taking a note of someone or something changing a config and not committing
22 it. Additionally without USE=cron, when you emerge the next package
23 etckeeper will think that the most recent package you emerged changed a
24 file that it didn't if you manually changed a file.
25
26 Once that's done just do:
27 # etckeeper init -d /etc
28 # bzcat /usr/share/doc/etckeeper-1.7/examples/bashrc.bz2 >>
29 /etc/portage/bashrc
30
31 And you're set.
34 Doug Goldstein