From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Good place to start?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:51:56
1 On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 11:02:37AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
2 > Hello. I am new to Gentoo and I am looking for a good place to start. I
3 > have over 4 years of experience with Linux and have built my own
4 > distributions in the past. I am looking for a more community based approach
5 > to this and have stumbled across Gentoo. It seems to be quite intruguing.
6 >
7 > Can anybody give me any tips for a quick start into Gentoo? Should I
8 > install slackware and then rsync the sources and build a Gentoo
9 > distribution? I also am a bit confused as to where the distribution
10 > resides. It almost appears as if the entire distribution (as source
11 > scripts) resides in "portage". Is this so?
12
13 The intelligence behind building the entire distribution does reside in Portage;
14 however, we do have an installation CD ISO image that has pre-built binary
15 packages. You can download this CD and install Gentoo Linux directly. We
16 have instructions (that I'm about to update) posted on the web site.
17
18 Best Regards,
21 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
22 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org