From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: upgrade's and rc-scripts
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:25:55
1 > Out of curiousity, has any put any thought into some automated method
2 > or hook for allowing restarting of rc-scripts on upgrade/re-emerge of
3 > a package?
4 >
5 > Other question is if any such hook is even needed.
6 > So... thoughts? I don't really have any input on it, aside from I'd
7 > like to gather what people want/think would be useful.
8
9 Another good idea, would be "pending jobs" list. Many ebuilds provide
10 imports instructions like "you can now delete this or that config-file"
11 or like "you must immediatly run this or that".
12
13 These usually scroll by while there're nobody watching the screen and/or
14 they cannot be read completely, since they scroll away too fast.
15
16 Apropos config-files: what about config-files that are provided by the
17 old-version of an ebuild but have been moved or removed by the new
18 version? etc-update doesn't know about them. So /etc/ will be full of
19 useless config-files after some time.
20
21 I'd consider automatic restarting a less important problem.