From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init scripts and start-stop-daemon
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:16:42
1 On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 19:54 +0200, Alin Dobre wrote:
2 > You have missed the situation when the daemon doesn't create any pid
3 > file, which start-stop-daemon can do.
4
5 I missed a whole load of stuff of what s-s-d can do and what the new
6 wrapper does - I was just talking about mis-use of start-stop-daemon in
7 init scripts which will break in future baselayouts.
8
9 And if s-s-d is creating a pidfile for a shell script then the pid will
10 definitely be wrong.
11
12 > Also, it seems ok to me to use the start-stop-daemon in the stop()
13 > function (combined with the --retry $TIME option is really great for
14 > daemons that require a longer time to finish).
15
16 I'm not debating that. Use of start-stop-daemon and how it's called is
17 entirely up to the ebuild maintainers. However, I would like them to use
18 it correctly ;)
19
20 Thanks
23 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>