From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:31:03
1 On Thursday 30 September 2004 21:55, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 15:21, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 > > ...which is the reason why we have sandbox. FEATURES="sandbox"
4 > > causes an emerge to terminate immediately with an access violation if
5 > > it attempts to touch system files before the build is complete.
6 > >
7 > > I'm not saying you are wrong by the way, I'm just pointing out that
8 > > stuff like this has been thought of before, so portage has safety
9 > > nets accordingly.
10
11 Sandbox should never ever be regarded as a security measure. It isn't. It
12 is almost trivial to subvert the sandbox. The reason for it's
13 effectiveness is solely that it's purpose is to protect against
14 accidental installing outside of the destination directory and so
15 subverting the package management (in short protecting against bad
16 makefiles and ebuilds). It IS NOT SECURE.
17
18 Paul
21 Paul de Vrieze
22 Gentoo Developer