From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:43:54
1 On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:50:04 +0100
2 "Stuart Herbert" <stuart.herbert@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > We've had a global vision for where Gentoo is going from before I
5 > joined - Gentoo is here to create a source-based distribution where
6 > each package is as close to what $UPSTREAM intended it to be as
7 > possible. We're not trying to take $UPSTREAM packages and innovate
8 > with them - we're here to do a first class job of packaging them up.
9
10 While that's generally the case, it's not always true; in particular
11 the hardened project deliberately causes stuff to be built differently
12 to the way upstream expect.
13
14 This illustrates that there is more than one vision, and what's good
15 about Gentoo is that we can support different visions without having to
16 fork the whole of Gentoo. The increased use of overlays helps to scale
17 this up.
18
19 >...
20 > We don't have a democracy. Gentoo is largely a workocracy (there must
21 > be a better word for it ;), where the vast majority decisions are made
22 > by the folks who actually do the work.
23
24 Meritocracy, perhaps.
25
26 >...
27 > * Every staff member has to belong to a team. You join a team by
28 > being voted onto the team by the other members of the team. They
29 > don't vote you in, you can't join.
30 > * If you're not part of any team, your rights and privileges as a
31 > staff member are automatically terminated. There's no place to go to
32 > appeal.
33 > * You can be voted off the team at any time. The teams are
34 > self-managing.
35
36 I figured this is pretty much how it works at the moment, just without
37 the formality. You don't just attach yourself to a team and start
38 stomping over the work of that team - acceptability of what you do is
39 by consent of the team. The lack of formality means that if the
40 team doesn't explicitly object to something you propose (e.g. what you
41 propose doesn't affect what the rest of the team do, or if it does
42 they don't care), you can just go ahead. Your summary implies explicit
43 consent from the team would be needed, which I don't think would be a
44 good idea.
47 Kevin F. Quinn