From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: robbat2@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 02:04:58
1 All,
2
3 a significant change is taking place with several upstreams that will affect
4 us in gentoo, so I wanted to bring it to the list for discussion.
5
6 Udev, kmod (which is a replacement for module-init-tools which will be needed
7 by >=udev-176), systemd, and soon others, are advocating a major change
8 to the locations where binaries and libraries are stored on linux
9 systems.
10
11 The goal is to deprecate /bin, /lib, /sbin and /usr/sbin. My
12 understanding is that they want to move software that is installed in
13 /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. Also, they want to move
14 everything from /lib to /usr/lib.
15
16 I have been working with robbat2 on solutions to the separate /usr issue
17 (That is why I have specifically cc'd him on this email)
18 which will allow people to not use an initramfs. If we migrate
19 everything off of the root fs to /usr, all of those solutions become
20 moot. On the other hand, if we don't migrate, we run the risk of
21 eventually having our default configuration not supported by upstream.
22
23 I see three options:
24
25 1) Start migrating packages along with upstream and have everyone who
26 has a separate /usr (including me by the way) start using an initramfs
27 of some kind, either dracut or one that we generate specifically for
28 gentoo. The reason I suggest the initramfs, is, unfortunately if we
29 migrate everything, nothing else would work.
30
31 2) Combine the sbin and bin directories both on the root
32 filesystem and in /usr by moving things from /sbin to /bin and /usr/sbin
33 to /usr/bin.
34
35 3) Try to maintain things the way they are as long as possible.
36
37 Whether or not I like what is happening personally, I think we should
38 consider the first option, because I think it will get more and more
39 difficult for us to do anything else over time. And we will eventually
40 find ourselves not supported by upstreams.
41
42 Please discuss; I want to hear what you think.
43
44 William