From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improving Gentoo User Relations
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:00:58
1 On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 14:43 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:19:35 +0100 Christel Dahlskjaer
3 > <christel@g.o> wrote:
4 > | So, from a developer pov Ciaran; if we could come up with some way of
5 > | keeping up to date with what you guys do (without eating up any of
6 > | your time or getting in your way) and then keep the masses informed,
7 > | would that be more attractive? Obviously making sure that information
8 > | is kept to a not exactly bare minimum, but presented in such a way
9 > | that it doesn't in any way halt progress or potential change of
10 > | direction?
11 >
12 > If it's information on things that are fine being public but aren't
13 > simply because of lack of time to write them up, then that would be
14 > great. If it's things that're being kept quiet purposefully, however,
15 > then the last thing we want is to start telling people things.
16
17 Yes, I agree with that entirely. If things are being kept quiet for a
18 reason we will have no wish to attempt to push for these to be made
19 public before the decision to do so is reached by the development teams
20 in question.
23 > | > Hence why some of us don't announce non-trivial projects on public
24 > | > mailing lists, and instead keep any discussion on -core and sekrit
25 > | > IRC channels. That's how what's now known as eselect was developed,
26 > | > and it turned out far nicer than the XML-laden aborted gentoo-config
27 > | > project precisely because of the lack of end user 'input'.
28 > |
29 > | In more of a informative 'these are the exciting things we're doing'
30 > | sort of way rather than a 'tell us why you disagree' sort of way
31 > | maybe.
32 >
33 > See, that doesn't work. There's this strange notion that because we're
34 > open source, users somehow have a right to a) see the code, b) make
35 > suggestions, c) demand new features, d) get support and e) annoy other
36 > developers or upstream when they break something that has a knock-on
37 > effect of breaking an unrelated package.
38
39 I was rather unclear, I think your previous passage had me rather spot
40 on for what I was wanting to do.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list