From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 18th Anniversary Edition - Help Needed
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 02:34:18
1 On 20/4/21 4:14 am, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 210419 Roy Bamford wrote:
3 >> Its my 18th anniversary of installing Gentoo.
4 > You beat me by 6 mth . I had recently built my 2nd machine
5 > & had been using Mandrake in the 1st, but they were slow with their release.
6 > I tried Suse + Slackware, but couldn't get them set up properly,
7 > so I thought I might as well try that new thing people were talking about.
8 > I followed the install instructions faithfully, booted
9 > & found myself with a working version of Gentoo ! I've never looked back.
10 >
11 >> A number of coincidences gave rise to my original liveCD turning up
12 >> when I was searching for bits to get an old system to boot
13 >> just one more time to get some forgotten data off its hard drives.
14 >> I just had to try it out.
15 > I still have the original CDs for Mandrake from 2000, my 1st Linux,
16 > but I've never tried installing them again anywhere.
19 I am a little earlier with gentoo  - but unfortunately I don't have any
20 media/machines from that era - great project!  I started with Redhat 4.0
21 sometime in the late 90's.
22
23 BillK