From: Chris Smith <chris.rs@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developers beware.
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:31:58
1 On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:33, Spider wrote:
2 > okay, I hope I'm not breaking news here about the win2k source code
3 > leak. However, I also hope that you all display enough common sense not
4 > to download it, even if you just want to gloat a bit at the comments.
5 >
6 > The vision of a set of cute lawsuits (SCO style) from MS targetted at
7 > various OSS/FS projects with a wide range of assaults, where the
8 > evidence is simply ISP logs showing an IP downloading said source is
9 > pretty frightening.
10 >
11 > Imagine the reprecautions for projects like
12 > Samba, Gnome, KDE, and other technologies that can be seen as
13 > "infringing" on some of MS turf. Its an easy, blunt lega weapon to weild
14 > against whole projects, stating that all progress past this point is
15 > only because you copied MS sources, weilding a large batch of patents,
16 > tradesecrets and copyright infringement claims and slamming large and
17 > wide.
18 >
19 > please, dont fall for the temptation.
20 > //Spider
21
22 Thats a good call spider, There were a lot of people on /. saying the same
23 thing.
24
25 For more information about the leak the /. article is here (with 1302
26 comments :o):
27 http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/12/2114228&mode=nested&tid=109&tid=187
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list