From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] About udev-145: new features / extras and kernel requirements
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:03:03
1 Hi there!
2
3 The new udev-145 and newer have some new kernel requirements. How should the
4 ebuild verify they are met?
5 Some possible ways:
6 1. Check config under /usr/src/linux
7 2. Check /proc/config.gz
8 3. Print message for user in pkg_postinst
12 Second point: udev-145 bundles a lot of new extras, but they can only be
13 enabled/disabled all or nothing.
14
15 These extras are:
16 * udev-acl: Apply consolekit permissions to devices for users (audio, video,
17 joysticks, scanner, cameras, ...)
18 * usb-db: Provide udev-rules with device names of pci and usb devices
19 * hid2hci: Special utility to fix resume of some hid devices
20 * keymap: Auto-configure model specific keys found on many laptops
21 ("brightness up", "next song", "www browser", or "suspend")
22 * modem-modeswitch: Switch modems that provide virtual cd-drive with drivers
23 to modem mode
24 * gudev: glib/gobject support for libudev
25
26 This makes udev depend on these libs:
27 libacl, libglib2, libusb, usbutils, pciutils, gperf
28
29 Up to now I have just added use-flag "extras" to control these. But I suppose
30 that udev-acl and maybe gudev is a hard requirement for newer hal or
31 devicekit versions. And upstream thinks these should be enabled by default.
32
33 Are any of these extras considered harmful?
34
35 Regards
36 Matthias