From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] About udev-145: new features / extras and kernel requirements
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:03:03
Hi there!

The new udev-145 and newer have some new kernel requirements. How should the
ebuild verify they are met?
Some possible ways:
1. Check config under /usr/src/linux
2. Check /proc/config.gz
3. Print message for user in pkg_postinst

Second point: udev-145 bundles a lot of new extras, but they can only be
enabled/disabled all or nothing.

These extras are:
* udev-acl: Apply consolekit permissions to devices for users (audio, video,
joysticks, scanner, cameras, ...)
* usb-db: Provide udev-rules with device names of pci and usb devices
* hid2hci: Special utility to fix resume of some hid devices
* keymap: Auto-configure model specific keys found on many laptops
("brightness up", "next song", "www browser", or "suspend")
* modem-modeswitch: Switch modems that provide virtual cd-drive with drivers
to modem mode
* gudev: glib/gobject support for libudev

This makes udev depend on these libs:
libacl, libglib2, libusb, usbutils, pciutils, gperf

Up to now I have just added use-flag "extras" to control these. But I suppose
that udev-acl and maybe gudev is a hard requirement for newer hal or
devicekit versions. And upstream thinks these should be enabled by default.

Are any of these extras considered harmful?