From: Albert Zeyer <albert.zeyer@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Lastriting dev-libs/libffi (replaced by USE libffi in gcc itself)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:02:32
1 On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:35 +0200, Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 14:52 Thu 05 Jun , Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 > >> # Samuli Suominen <drac@g.o> (05 Jun 2008)
6 > >> # Masked for removal in ~30 days by treecleaners.
7 > >> # Replaced by USE libffi in sys-devel/gcc. Bug 163724.
8 > >> dev-libs/libffi
9 > >> dev-lang/squeak
10 > >> x11-libs/gtk-server
11 > >
12 > > The latest version of g-wrap (1.9.11) requires the external libffi
13 > > released a month or two ago, because it looks for the pkgconfig file
14 > > installed by that and not gcc:
15 > >
16 > > - libffi is no longer distributed with g-wrap, as it is available
17 > > as a stand-alone package now (instead of being burried in the
18 > > GCC sources).
19 > >
20 > > Thoughts?
21 >
22 > I'd vote for an external libffi as well since python currently has to use
23 > it's bundled version of it (statically linking against it).
24 > Using libffi provided by gcc (and linking dynamically) is no option yet
25 > since portage doesn't protect the user from destroying his system by
26 > re-emerging gcc without gcj or libffi USE flags (rev-dep check and
27 > USE-based deps would be needed).
28
29 Isn't it always preferable to separate packages and break them down into
30 peaces (in this case have an external libffi) instead of having big
31 packages with lots of stuff (in this case GCC) ?
32
33 Perhaps it's more work to maintain, but I as a user would prefer an
34 external libffi.
38 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list