From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: chutzpah@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: virtual/init for init process
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 15:45:08
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:48:09AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 04/26/2018 11:34 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 13:35:15 -0700
4 > > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> emerge --depclean, resulting in an unbootable system. Just say-in.
7 > >
8 > > And depclean being very verbose doesn't do many favours here either.
9 > >
10 > > ( I regularly do >500 package depcleans and spotting things that aren't meant to be
11 > > culled amongst that list is a bit of a challenge )>
12 >
13 > At least for system packages, it will show a warning like the one shown
14 > here:
15 >
16 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/642484#c0
17 >
18 > Hopefully that message helps those that are paying enough attention.
19 > What can we do for those that overlook the warning message, other than
20 > give them some rescue instructions for making their system boot again?
21
22 Another option suggested to me was to add a use flag to OpenRC that
23 pulls in a dependency on virtual/init instead of adding virtual/init to
24 @system. The suggestion originally was to add it to rdepend, but that
25 doesn't feel right to me since openrc really doesn't have a runtime
26 dependency on init, so I'm thinking something like this:
27
28 IUSE="... +separate-init"
29
30 PDEPEND="