From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: please stop using foo-${PV}-bar.patch in other ebuild versions than ${PV}
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:51:32
1 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> posted
2 49C8D6EE.3070401@g.o, excerpted below, on Tue, 24 Mar 2009
3 13:49:50 +0100:
4
5 > Lastly I prefer to have the source changes right there in the ebuild
6 > when they are not too elaborate and patches don't allow that.
7
8 The preference makes sense, but the statement based on it, that patches
9 don't allow putting the change in the ebuild, doesn't. I've used here
10 document based patches in my own bash scripts to good effect so I know it
11 works, and if it's working in my bash scripts, it's going to work in bash
12 script based ebuilds as well.
13
14 The only reason patches would need to be file based would be convenience,
15 and as soon as it's an inconvenience, with the convenience being having
16 them in the ebuild itself, here document based patches to the rescue! =:^)
17
18 That "sed", "said" (ha! =:^) does have certain advantages as you pointed
19 out, when a specific string change is desired, regardless of context,
20 which may well change between versions.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman