From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AutoMake and paralle safe makefiles [WAS: using -j1 with distcc?]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:06:14
1 On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:51:47 -0400 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Aron Griffis wrote:
4 | > From bind-9.3.2-r4.ebuild:
5 | >
6 | > Unless somebody can explain how this is valid, I'll go ahead and fix
7 | > the bind ebuilds (where "fix" means "use -j1 unconditionally since
8 | > the Makefiles aren't parallel safe").
9 |
10 | If I'm using Autotools, aren't they smart enough (given that I
11 | specify the proper headers, and source files and whatnot) to generate
12 | parallel safe makefiles? Or is it a shot in the dark as to whether
13 | it works or not?
14
15 You can quite easily screw up Makefile.am and generate unsafe code when
16 using automake. It doesn't remove the need to know what you're doing.
19 Ciaran McCreesh
20 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org