From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:37:24
1 On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 09:23:11AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Gentoo has historically been both "light patch", with a policy of staying
3 > close to upstream if possible, and "customizer's choice", allowing users
4 > far more flexibility than most distros. Keeping both goals in mind,
5 > migrating with upstream is ultimately the only viable alternative for a
6 > whole host of reasons including both staying close to upstream and simple
7 > manpower resource issues.
8
9 > That said, we can continue to try to support a separate /usr as long as
10 > possible, while switching new installs to the new way and changing the
11 > handbook to document it, preferably as soon as possible.
12
13 In this situation, I don't know how we will be able to support both
14 ways because there is more involved than just where things are
15 installed.
16
17 Udev 175 is currently masked, because the way it operates has changed
18 enough that it doesn't work correctly if it starts before /usr is
19 mounted, and the failures you find will be very difficult to track down.
20 So, udev isn't only changing where it is installed, but how it runs.
21
22 Supporting a separate /usr without an initramfs will require one of two
23 things.
24
25 One possibility is a customization to openrc, which we have been
26 looking at, that would be able to run fsck on /usr and mount /usr all
27 before udev starts. The drawback here is this will only work for openrc
28 users.
29
30 Another possibility is a script that would run as the init= parameter to
31 the kernel, which would fsck /usr and mount /usr then start the real
32 init process. This would be more generic and would be able to run
33 regardless of whether you are using sysvinit/openrc.
34
35 Here is the big problem with both of these solutions as I see them. They
36 depend on several pieces of software remaining on the root filesystem,
37 and if/when this software is migrated, we will be back to having this discussion
38 again.
39
40 > Further, as
41 > previously discussed, a near-static bare-minimal initramfs that can be
42 > configured and forgotten about for long periods over many kernel upgrades
43 > should make the switch as painless as possible at least for "simple" bare-
44 > partition installations.
45
46 I want to look at dracut and see if there is a way to configure it to
47 create a minimal initramfs like you are suggesting, because, if there is
48 we don't need to re-invent the wheel.
49
50 I don't think your portage feature/use flag suggestion is a good idea,
51 because, right now most of this is about where things are installed,
52 but, eventually we might have to start actually patching software to
53 make it work if it is installed on / instead of /usr, and there is no
54 way to know how much patching we would have to do.
55
56 What are your thoughts?
57
58 William