From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: change to default policy of doing changes to packages that are maintained by other developers
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:55:23
1 On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 10:37 AM Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'd like to bring the topic of defining default policy to do changes to
6 > packages within ::gentoo that one does not maintain.
7 >
8 > This topic goes back from time to time on #gentoo-dev, and as I was
9 > told, it was originally sent to gentoo-dev mailing list by robbat2 (I
10 > failed to find this in archive, so if anyone have copy of it, please share).
11 >
12 > Current policy is to never touch ebuild that one did not claim as
13 > maintainer unless maintainer of said package allowed you to do so.
14 >
15 > This is a bit unhealthy, especially when some developers that maintain
16 > packages are out of reach, or the patches to update ebuild just rot on
17 > the bugzilla and are not taken in by maintainers.
18 >
19 > What I'd like to end with would be to set a policy that allows any
20 > developer with write access to ebuilds tree do changes that are small in
21 > scope, like a minor bug fixes, adding missing flags, version bumps,
22 > anything, that does not require complete overhaul of ebuild, with the
23 > option to set in metadata.xml that policy for specified package is to
24 > deny anyone but maintainers from doing changes.
25 >
26 > The packages that would require a flag to prohibit non-maintainers from
27 > doing changes would of course be those of toolchain, or other big in
28 > user base packages that are in very good shape, as in gnome packages,
29
30 GNOME is not in good shape.
31
32 > kde packages, X11 packages and so on.
33
34 These are in good shape.
35
36 > Of course, the policy would also define, that if there are any bug
37 > introduced by changes that non-maintainer made, it's responsibility of
38 > those who did the change in first place to fix it and clean any mess
39 > that it has created.
40 >
41 > I personally am fine with others doing changes to packages I own, as
42 > long as they won't break anything and I do know from the discussion on
43 > #gentoo-dev, that there are others who have similar opinion about it.
44 >
45 > Those who feel territorial and those who believe only maintainers should
46 > maintain specified packages can just set the flag in metadata.xml and
47 > continue with the current state of things for their packages.
48 >
49 > The reason why I would like to get default policy to allow-all is that I
50 > do not believe most of developers would want to go around all the
51 > packages they own and set it manually to allow others doing changes even
52 > if they're fine with others touching those packages.
53 >
54 > What do you think folks?
55
56 I typically operate this way:
57
58 If the package maintainer is active (on IRC, mailing lists, bugzilla)
59 I file a bug. If no response after a week or two, depending on the
60 importance of the change I commit it myself.
61
62 If the package is not actively maintained (maintainer-needed@ or the
63 maintainer has not touched the package in a long time while there are
64 open bugs without response, etc) and the change is trivial (missing
65 dependency, simple version bump for non-critical package, etc), then
66 I'll just commit it directly.
67
68 If the package is not actively maintained and the change is not
69 trivial, I file a bug and try to get the maintainer to review. If they
70 don't respond, I try to get others that may be interested to review
71 and then commit after 2 weeks.
72
73 For tree-wide stuff (package rename, removing amd64-fbsd keywords,
74 $Header: ...$, etc) I think a mailing list post announcing what you're
75 doing is a good idea. Wait a couple days for feedback and then do it.
76 No need to get an ack from individual maintainers.
77
78 I feel like these are pretty reasonable guidelines and have rarely
79 gotten me yelled at. I know that a lot of the details of my personal
80 behavior are subjective, but maybe that's good enough? Not sure. We
81 seem to always have some disagreeable person force us to codify common
82 sense.
83
84 Am I missing any cases? The only thing I can think of is maintainers
85 that are so territorial that try to prevent others from committing to
86 their packages and also are not responsive to bug reports. Fortunately
87 that is uncommon, but unfortunately it does still happen today. I
88 don't really know how to solve that, but /that/ seems like the only
89 real problem case to me.