From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:07:48
1 On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 00:11 +0100, Charlie Shepherd wrote:
2 > > some want it to be bleeding-edge
3 >
4 > I think you'd struggle to get Gentoo to stop being on the bleeding edge :)
5
6 I'm pretty sure we're more cutting edge and less bleeding edge these
7 days. We've slowed down quite a bit simply due to sheer size of the
8 tree and the added complexities involved with it.
9
10 > > Obviously, arbitrarily
11 > > choosing one of those directions would mean losing a lot of developers, and
12 > > this is something we can't afford to do.
13 >
14 > We could of course move in several directions at once...
15
16 Exactly.
17
18 We don't have to have global goals. We just want *some* goals. Each of
19 the major functional groups can define their own goals, and they would
20 be Gentoo's goals. We just don't all have to work on the same thing.
21 After all, how many companies only work on exactly one thing, putting
22 all of their employees on the one task? I'd venture to guess that only
23 the very small would do that. Most companies branch out into multiple
24 directions at once. Gentoo fits in more with this style of thinking,
25 since we cater to very different user groups with different projects
26 within our ranks.
27
28 > > The current devrel authority is reduced to only the core
29 > > project
30 >
31 > I don't think this is a good idea. Most projects are short on people
32 > already, without having to have their members wasting time policing
33 > themselves.
34
35 This is exactly what I mean by all of the groups having to reinvent the
36 wheel. We already have a recruitment staff. Why do we now need $x
37 recruitment methodologies for $x projects?
38
39 > Just because stuff isn't maintained doesn't mean that it's not being
40 > used, and if it's not broken I fail to see why it should be removed.
41
42 I've seen many times people say "well, this hasn't been touched
43 since..." when a package has no bugs. Of *course* it hasn't been
44 touched. It just works. I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a
45 few packages that fall into this category.
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
50 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
51 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
52 Gentoo Foundation