From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLogs and rsync time
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:11:45
1 On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 00:35 +0300, Peter Volkov (pva) wrote:
2 > On Вск, 2006-01-01 at 21:35 +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote:
3 > > We have currently 10371 ChangeLog files, > 25 MB totally .
4 > > 1365 == 13% with size >= 4096 B, 12 MB totally
5 > >
6 > > rsync from "emerge --sync" has "--whole-file" between its options, that
7 > > mean transfer the whole file if changed.
8 >
9 > > 2) "rotate" Changelogs, keeping only the last changes, until a size
10 > > of 4000 or [choose a preferred size here] bytes.
11 > > This would save only about 7Mb of data (max size < 4096).
12 >
13 > ChangeLog is the only source of information on upgrade reasons and IMO
14 > users are interested only in recent information there. Another
15 > suggestion is to combine rotate like and exclude list solutions.
16 >
17 > When ChangeLog size reaches above maximum allowed size echangelog should
18 > create ChangeLog.old file and copy tail of ChangeLog there, in order to
19 > keep ChangeLog size. Then using excludes list one may drop really old
20 > entries in ChangeLog.old, whereas keeping recent information in portage
21 > tree.
22
23 I could see this working well without removing the information from CVS
24 or the tree. We would then add RSYNC_EXCLUDE on ChangeLog.old instead
25 of ChangeLog. I wouldn't have a problem with this, and it would still
26 be benificial. The only question left to be answered is how much space
27 would actually be saved to make this extra load on CVS worth it.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
32 x86 Architecture Team
33 Games - Developer