From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing the size of distfiles for our mirrors
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:58:38
1 On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:42:18PM -0400 or thereabouts, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > yep, nwn, it was a beast to d/l myself.
3 > is the correct answer to this putting RESTRICT=nomirror ? i thought that was
4 > client side only ... it hadnt occured to me that it would affect how the
5 > gentoo distfile mirrors would be created ...
6 >
7 > if that is so i'll add RESTRICT=nomirror to a bunch of games ... many are a
8 > few hundred megs (mostly q3 mods) ...
9
10 We're actually in the process of working out a policy to address these
11 issues. The current *suggested* proposal is the following:
12
13 Per-file size limit:
14
15 commercial products > 100MB
16 non-commercial products > 500MB
17
18 The reasoning behind this is that commercial products typically have
19 resources and funding behind them to offer a fairly robust downloading
20 experience to their users meaning we can avoid mirroring them ourselves
21 without impacting our user base to a significant degree. non-commercial
22 products often don't have the same resources available to them, so we would
23 continue to mirror all but the largest files in that case. (currently,
24 there are no non-commercial products in our tree that would be affected by
25 this cap limit)
26
27 Thoughts?
28