From: Fabio Rossi <rossi.f@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: reorganization of /var/lib gentoo-related files
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:58:22
1 On Wednesday 31 December 2008, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Except that... in theory, some or all of those apps could technically be
4 > used on/for other distributions and platforms as well.
5
6 Yes, this is the theory but I think they'll be never ported to other
7 distributions.
8
9 > Few/none of the other apps, regardless of which distribution they started
10 > on, are in directories based on distribution name, I don't believe it
11 > fits FHS (as genone pointed out), and while there may be reasons to break
12 > standards on occasion, they need to be pretty good to justify the hassle
13 > and confusion, and frankly, I just don't see this as being that good.
14
15 Honestly the current situation is a little confused, this is the reason of my
16 proposal. Until those applications are used *only* inside gentoo I wouldn't
17 bother about FHS because it has been thought to uniform the filesystem
18 between all the distribution on the market and this makes sense when you have
19 *common* application installed.
20
21 > Portage is certainly a candidate for other distributions/platforms, and
22 > eselect and genkernel (I guess that's what owns module-rebuild?) could be
23 > as well, particularly on Gentoo based distributions.
24
25 module-rebuild is a standalone package supported also by linux-mod.eclass. Its
26 purpose is the recompilation of modules after a kernel upgrade. It's also
27 true that this utility might be substituted (with portage 2.1.6.4) with
28 $(emerge /lib/modules).
29
30 > Herdstat doesn't appear to be in the Gentoo tree any longer, so that can
31 > be eliminated from the list.
32
33 Yes, you're right.
34
35 > Even the one that's currently under gentoo, enews, arguably doesn't
36 > belong there, since I see files from other overlays there, and some
37 > overlays are independent and may be in fact ultimately targeted primarily
38 > at distributions other than Gentoo.
39
40 I suppose that someone was thinking about collecting all gentoo related files
41 in a common place when /var/lib/gentoo/news was introduced.
42
43 Fabio