From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:24:05
1 Gabriel wrote:
2
3 > I have done this with a stripped down redhat dist when I set up the thin clients for IBM Partnerworld 2000. There are some good howtos on this, and you can experiment with doing the netbooting using Gero's 'netboot' package.
4 >
5 > The real problem is with the lack of support for all of the plugins and things
6 > that get pushed on the web using public. People do fine until they run into
7 > something that is an exception to the way the world does things. Grandma won't want to use the thin client if it is running Linux; not today anyway.
10 My grandman won't even touch a computer no matter what os is running, but anyway.
11 Having a flag to trigger a stripped down build whould make live much easier.
14 > At the show we had real problems with the java environment not working the same under linux as on the windows intellistations we were replacing.
15
16 True, we had similar problems during my work at BMW with some applets but they had a special version of netscape running with a modified jre, so netscape solved this problem.
20 > One more thing; flash roms have a finite number of read/writes. You don't want to swap to the flash. You don't really want to swap over NFS either. Since you are talking about Java, Netscape, multimedia, and an affordable amount of RAM, you WILL need to deal with that eventuality.
21
22 Hmm, a solution might be using the flash roms as a ro-filesystem and storing all files that need write acces in a tar-ball on the flash-tom that gets unpacked to a ram-disk on boot and build on shutdown.
23 But that solution would require a big peace of ram.
24
25 ~achim*
29 > --Gabriel
30 >