From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Apache "-D PHP5" needs update to "-D PHP"
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 16:42:44
1 On 01/04/2016 11:11 AM, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 >
3 > So pkg_postinst for >=eselect-php-0.8.1 should say something, but
4 > ideally also the invocation - but I don't know if eselect-php is also
5 > code or only data managed by eselect?
6
7 The pkg_postinst is already there. The eselect-php routines are bash
8 code so theoretically we can do anything we want. How do people feel
9 about making eselect-php spit out a warning every time the apache2
10 module is messed with?
14 >> Which init script?
15 >
16 > For Apache.
17 >
18 >> You don't want to e.g. kill working php-5.x installations for people
19 >> who have apache keyworded ~arch.
20 >
21 > IMO that would be a much lesser evil than serving source in another
22 > case, as long as it is clear how to unkill (sed s,PHP5,PHP,) the setup.
25 It wouldn't be that simple; at the very least, those people would have
26 to keyword eselect-php, upgrade it, run it, and fix their config. To do
27 that properly would make eselect-php a dependency of the new apache, and
28 that's wrong.