From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: devmanual moved to github
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 22:39:00
1 On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:24:09AM +0200, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2 > On 13/05/13 00:21, Peter Stuge wrote:
3 > > There is no problem if github is only used for hosting, but if it
4 > > is the primary point of contact, or if pull requests are accepted,
5 > > then github is also writing to repositories, and merge commits are
6 > > enforced for all external contributions. That does not scale at
7 > > all.
8 >
9 > Users can still send patches via email even if the project is hosted on
10 > GitHub. And for the record I have not had problems with messy merges
11 > when commiting pull requests.
12
13 You can also merge pull requests locally and format them however you
14 like (including fast forward merges). GitHub automatically closes the
15 PR when it's tip commit lands in the target branch.
16
17 My major gripe with PRs is folks sometimes add lots of good details to
18 the PR summary, and then have little one-line commit messages :p. If
19 you can convince them to incorperate motivation, etc., in the commit
20 messages, than the fact that code came in via a PR is irrelevant.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Trevor
26 This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org).