From: Antoni Grzymala <awaria@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:18:53
1 William Hubbs dixit (2010-09-20, 11:16):
2
3 > I want to start a new thread since the discussion on openrc is
4 > centering on whether we should use oldnet, newnet, or keep both.
5 >
6 > The drawback I see for newnet is that it does not allow the user to
7 > control each interface separately, so if you want to cycle one
8 > interface for some reason, this is not doable in that setup. I
9 > agree this is a serious drawback. Oldnet addresses this by having a
10 > separate script for each interface.
11 >
12 > The thing I do not like about oldnet is the way it handles wifi and
13 > dynamic interfaces by running dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant on each
14 > interface instead of running a global instance of them so that they
15 > can control the interfaces themselves.
16 >
17 > On my laptop, I have net.lo in the boot runlevel, and I start
18 > wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd in the default runlevel. In that setup,
19 > there is no need for any net.wlan* interface scriptss, because
20 > dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant manage everything.
21
22 Does that support configurations where I set static addresses
23 (including ipv6) and routes (also including ipv6) based on the SSID as
24 is allowed by the oldnet scheme of things? I (and probably lots other
25 “power users”) rely on those features extensively and I thank whoever
26 came up with the idea of actually configuring that in a pretty simple
27 way (compared to other distros and OS'es where it is more complicated
28 or plain impossible sometimes).
29
30 Best,
33 [a]