From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] symlinks in the tree
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 14:52:47
1 >>>>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Justin Lecher (jlec) wrote:
2
3 > I would like to discuss the pro and cons of usage of symlinks in the
4 > tree, which are possible now as we aren't bound to CVS anymore
5
6 > We have quite a number of ebuilds already in the tree defining
7 > functionality for both, regular version and live versions. These are
8 > typical candidates. Same for different package versions with the
9 > same ebuild.
10
11 > [...]
12
13 > nevertheless, we would slim the tree and reduce work when changing
14 > things like HOMEPAGE.
15
16 IIUC git will only store one copy of duplicate files, so using
17 symlinks won't save any space in the repository.
18
19 Also I suspect that symlinks would soon cause a mess when package
20 versions are stabilised.
21
22 Ulrich