From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] /etc/resolv.conf symlink through net-dns/resolvconf-symlink
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:23:48
1 On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 04:13:16PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > > It was historically in /etc because it got used to mount /var.
3 > > As an example, if you grab some RHEL systems on the default install,
4 > > every entry in the fstab is UUID=... rather than fixed devices. Not
5 > > having the cache the mounts will still work, but will be very slow as
6 > > all devices will be rescanned.
7 > I would think that something like this would change so infrequently as
8 > to not matter much. If you're going to actually install new block
9 > devices relevant to the boot process, I have to think that somewhere
10 > along the lines you'll probably need to mount /etc read-write.
11 It can change more often than you realize in some more enterprisy
12 situations. The one that I've seen the most was a fibrechannel SAN,
13 where the disk order varied with the response time of the devices
14 (first-come first-serve in allocation of device nodes). Alternatively
15 booting with USB/Firewire storage devices attached, if those storage
16 modules are loaded before whatever other controller, it will vary
17 depending what you have attached.
18
19 > mdadm.conf is in a similar boat. So is fstab for that matter (my
20 > fstab probably changes more often than the list of permanent block
21 > devices does).
22 mdadm.conf is less of a concern as it's written by the user, not the
23 system, and it contains just UUIDs and scans devices directly to
24 assemble.
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
29 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85