From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:11:26
1 On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 06:39:44AM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > ...
5 >
6 > What needs to be done now is for someone with lots of CPU power to
7 > grab the list of packages[1], and build them one-by-one (all
8 > versions), adding to a new list all the ebuilds that fail. How to
9 > test:
10 >
11 > LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" emerge -v1 $atom
12 >
13 > Once we have the list that fails with normal as-needed, we can fix
14 > them, get the fix upstreamed (if possible), and switch the flag on.
15 > This action should probably be accompanied by a news item informing
16 > users about the change, and encouraging them to report the (rare) bug
17 > which might hit them.
18 >
19 > Let's try to make Gentoo less frustrating for our users.
20
21 I'll help ;)
22
23 Testing from the bottom up to avoid overlapping with hwoarang.
24
25 > 1. http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/files/as-needed-failures.list
26 > --
27 > ~Nirbheek Chauhan