From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:36:51
1 On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 18:23 +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
3 > > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:57:37 -0500 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
4 > > wrote:
5 > > | I picked a random e-mail to reply to. I don't maintain that many
6 > > | packages (maybe 10 or so?). But if I have a bug (particularly a sec
7 > > | bug as in this case) and you haven't stablized it after five months
8 > > | then I'll probably just nuke the ebuild and drop your keywords
9 > >
10 > > Which is dumb. There's no harm to be had in just leaving the ebuild
11 > > there.
12 >
13 > Accumulating broken old vulnerable and unsupported junk in tree for the
14 > sole sake of arches that noone cares about enough to keyword something
15 > newer for months harms everyone who uses rsync, wastes disk space for
16 > users, wastes disk space on mirrors, makes CVS and portage slower,
17 > wastes maintainers time... No harm? Nonsense.
20 Well, there's a bit more to it than "noone cares about". Biggest
21 problem I have seen (although seldom) is when the "fixed" version is
22 broken for us. In such cases, we will note the problem on the bug, but
23 obviously will not keyword the "fixed" version, and we need the old
24 version until the package maintainer corrects the problem. Thus, we
25 have no control over any 5 month, 6 month, forever rule.
26
27 Regards,
28 Ferris
29 --
30 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
31 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)