From: Magnus Granberg <zorry@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item for hardened profile about gcc.
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:31:52
1 On Sunday 24 October 2010 10.04.34 Kfir Lavi wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > Magnus Granberg posted on Sun, 24 Oct 2010 03:01:40 +0200 as excerpted:
4 > > > Display-If-Install: <sys-devel/gcc-4.4
5 > >
6 > > Typo:
7 > >
8 > > Display-If-Installed:
9 > > ^^
10 > >
11 > > Meanwhile, the title reflects hardened profiles, but the updated
12 > > conditions aren't viewed only on hardened. The no-support-for-<gcc-4
13 > > policy would seem reasonable for most profiles (don't know about the
14 > > exotic archs). Either the title should be updated to reflect that it
15 > > applies in general (not just on hardened), or the condition to display
16 > > only on hardened should be maintained. Either way, making it clearer in
17 > > the body as well would be wise, so people seeing it only on hardened (if
18 > > it applies only to them, for example) will have less chance of missing
19 > > that, if they have regular installs as well.
20 > >
21 > > But I don't remember whether multiple conditions are ANDed or ORed; they
22 > > should be ANDed here, if it's to apply to ONLY hardened with <gcc-4.4
23 > > installed.
24 > >
25 > > --
26 > > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
27 > > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
28 > > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 >
30 > Hi all,
31 > After reading this post I went to wikipedia to read about the SSP.
32 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow_protection
33 > At the paragraph "GCC Stack-Smashing Protector (ProPolice)", its written"
34 >
35 > "It was implemented as a patch to GCC 3.x; a less intrusive
36 > reimplementation is included in the GCC 4.1 release. Currently, SSP is
37 > standard in OpenBSD, FreeBSD (since 8.0), Ubuntu (since 8.04 LTS[3]),
38 > and DragonFly BSD. It is also available in NetBSD (enabled by default
39 > on x86), Debian and Gentoo, disabled by default."
40 >
41 > Now this should be changed, if the SSP flag is becoming default.
42 >
43 > Regards,
44 > Kfir
45 Updated the news item.
46 Thanks for the notes Duncan.
47 @Kfir It is only the hardened gcc that have the SSP enable as default.
48 We can add that Gentoo (Hardened) have it enable.
49
50 /Magnus
51 /Magnus

2010-10-24-gcc-info.en.txt text/plain