From: John Morhous <john@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Great start
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 06:57:56
1 Really like the distro and the "compile what you need" metaverse that it
2 falls under. Besides giving you a much faster running system, it’s a
3 great learning process for how linux works.
4
5 However, some bugs _actually_ prevented me from getting it working :)
6 Overall I tried installing the system about 10 times, using a mix of
7 stage 1-3 (mostly 2 & 3), and got stuck every time.
8
9 The most notable problems include selected kernel options not showing up
10 in the compiled kernel (including the ones that are required to
11 operate), and several other issues that prevent the system from coming
12 up properly (GRUB not liking the layout, devices coming up, etc). Some I
13 could fix with utilities like tomsrtbt, but they all ended up forcing me
14 to fdisk and try again.
15
16 Anyways, despite my personal failures, I enjoyed the overall process and
17 thought your documentation was stellar. Keep up the good work. Looking
18 forward to version 1.2 to try it another 10 times! :)
19
20 -JTM