From: Yannick Koehler <yannick.koehler@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo XML Database
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:55:13
1 On February 7, 2003 01:41 pm, Vano D wrote:
2 > Sorry for double posting.
3 >
4 > If that idea is extended and assuming that you have different machines
5 > with different specs in a big organisation you want to deploy
6 > gentoo clients to, you can in effect have a
7 > "configuration management center" server to configure and
8 > manage software in all of the gentoo machines in that organisation.
9 >
10 > Ofcourse if all machines have the same specs you can still use this system
11 > but without the need to compile software for each machine.
12 >
13 > I think the idea is very interesting and can be usefull.
14
15 Which brings up a ver old idea that I again posted on gentoo last summer about
16 having a script exporting all config file in an xml database/tree and have
17 utilities developped to display/present/change this information and then make
18 that information transform back into the original /etc files.
19
20 One could then export the xml and re-import it inside another system. Even
21 better, would be that you could configure more than simply linux because the
22 notion of "users" can easily exists in other system and using xslt on an xml
23 could help converting it to another similar format for the target platform.
27 Yannick Koehler
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list