From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES=test and the internet
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:40:44
I've been running my latest install with features=test, makes it
simple to test packages requiring stablizization and all that... at
least partially..

However, I've seen a few packages that fetch stuff during the test
phase from the internet, which seems like a _really_ bad idea to me.
For 1,  what if I -f while dialed up and then disconnect, and for two,
what happens if the site it's connecting to is down? These can both
effect the outcome of my emerge.

So far, I've seen one of each
libxml2 fetches a DTD, it fetched fine, but if I had not had
internet... it probably would have died, a simple possible fix to this
is to add the dtd to SRC_URI, but this an extra thing to handle for
people without FEATURES="test", and without feature-specific deps
(farily useless overall), there would have to be a USE="test" to take
advantage of this.

The other is net-misc/neon, this one has a down upstream server, and
the build died because of this

Only way I can think of to fix this is to disable the test.

Test policy seems fairly vague in general, maybe this is a good time
to clarify//enforce it?

Opinions? Comments? Flames?

Thats what the mailing list is for!