From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Trivial" commit reviews
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:13:12
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Mike Doty (KingTaco) just told me I could stop sending reviews to -dev
3 > that are just about adding quotes or other trivial issues that come up
4 > over and over. I'm going to tell you why it's still a good thing.
5 >
6 > First, where one problem lurks, others often do too. In code with such
7 > simple problems, it's likely that more complex problems also exist.
8 > Getting more eyes on problematic code of any sort can help find them.
9 >
10 > Second, as we've already seen, no one developer is familiar with all the
11 > code. Both Mike Frysinger and Daniel Drake have responded to some of my
12 > reviews, pointing out further problems with the same code.
13 >
14 > Third, by continuing to post these reviews, it should become obvious to
15 > _all_ developers that they should be checking for them _before_
16 > committing instead of waiting for a review.
17 >
18 > Over time, the number of these simple reviews should go dramatically
19 > down so it no longer bothers anyone to see them. If it doesn't, that
20 > means some of our developers aren't learning or paying attention, and we
21 > should take a closer look at whether they should remain developers.
22 >
23 > Thanks,
24 > Donnie
25 My concern is that if we flood -dev with "trivial" commit problems then
26 more people will stop watching -dev and/or resort to killfiles or other
27 filtering. While I do agree with Donnies assessment, my concern is that
28 over a longer time period, it might have a negative effect.
32 Mike Doty kingtaco -at- gentoo.org
33 Gentoo Infrastructure
34 Gentoo/AMD64 Strategic Lead
35 GPG: E1A5 1C9C 93FE F430 C1D6 F2AF 806B A2E4 19F4 AE05
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list