From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:52:54
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> posted
2 20080610150018.1cae5e34@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Tue, 10 Jun
3 2008 15:00:18 +0100:
4
5 > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:49:04 -0400
6 > Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7 >> 4) Putting EAPI inside the ebuild, but in a manner that does not
8 >> require sourcing using bash (ie comment at top of file).
9
10 > - it doubles the number of file reads necessary during resolution.
11
12 No comment, except that it should be cached after the first one, so the
13 second read should be a memory read.
14
15 > - it heavily restricts future syntax and meaning of EAPIs
16
17 I don't see this. Putting it at a defined place in the ebuild and
18 parsing it pre-source nails down the problem such that if a future format
19 change is further incompatible, a primary EAPI can be defined that
20 defines a further extension, a second line to look at in the ebuild, some
21 external file, the filename, whatever, for the additional sub-eapi or
22 whatever detail, much as extensions to various Internet RFCs have done
23 when they've wanted to extend beyond what would fit in the then-current
24 definitions. It does little to restrict the ultimate combined
25 primary/secondary EAPI, where the primary simply defines where and how to
26 look for the secondary.
27
28 > - it makes comments have meaning
29
30 Only if we choose the comment format, and then no more than shebang and
31 similar solutions do. In the latter case it's an already recognized *ix
32 solution. In the former, it's entirely possible to use a backward
33 compatible EAPI= simple assignment that can be pre-parsed, and use the
34 sub-eapi (minor part, in terms discussed elsewhere) if necessary to
35 further define it using functions or the like.
38 That said, I don't see the big deal to putting it in the file extension,
39 when we're already breaking traditional content-defines-type rules by
40 decreeing .ebuild extensions in the first place. I'd personally like to
41 keep it a one-time fixed extension change, if only to force some
42 discipline on the proliferation by forcing each new change to be
43 reauthorized, meaning it's /really/ needed or it's simply not worth the
44 trouble, but really, the precedent was already set when we accepted
45 metadata in filename with the .ebuild thing in the first place, so
46 there's little reason to fight it now, unless the proposal also
47 eliminates that, and backward compatibility with it.
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
55 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list