From: Craig <craig@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] time to retire
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:10:51
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 it was on my TODO list for 2018 anyways, but as Michal was asking if
4 I'm still active, I decided to speed this up: I'm formally retiring.
5
6 I haven't done much in recent years and felt like it would be
7 appropriate to formally retire in 2018. I've been an active gentoo
8 user for a very long time, probably since 2005. I've gotten more
9 involved the following years and got the security staff status
10 at some point in 2008-2009. Back in those good old days, I even had time
11 at work to file bugs and work on gentoo security!
12
13 However, over the years it came apparent that running gentoo is a very
14 time-consuming endeavour, (hello emerge blockers!) and in the past
15 years, I decided to migrate nearly all of our servers and my
16 workstations away from gentoo.
17
18 Running our business demands stable systems, with reproducible builds
19 and backported security patches, which is kind of hard to do with
20 gentoo. YMMV. I still think it's a great OS if you're willing to invest
21 some time to keep it up to date. :)
22
23 In my private time, I'll still be a linux user, but a distribution
24 that "just works" is fine with me nowadays. A lot has changed since
25 2005. :)
26
27 As he's retired for a a long time, he probably won't read this, but
28 special thanks to Robert for being an awesome mentor. :)
29
30 Thanks to everyone I met on my journey with gentoo, and special thanks
31 to my fellow German folks on that special IRC channel. ;)
32
33 If anyone is looking for a System Administration or DevOps job in
34 Germany or wants to reach me, feel free to contact me via my company
35 mail: s.behte@××××××.com.
36
37 - Stefan Behte