From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 08:56:44
1 Steven J. Long posted on Sat, 01 Mar 2014 06:48:54 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > I for one prefer a distro to do a bit of work and make my life easier,
4 > since it makes life easier for everyone who uses the distro. Why the
5 > hell should I care if some bindist can't etc-update? WTF does that have
6 > to do with Gentoo?
7
8 Because if they can't etc-update, they'll come up with some other
9 solution that might not work so well for gentoo, and as upstream for some
10 number of packages they'll propagate that solution, causing more trouble
11 for gentoo trying to fix the impedance mismatch between their way and
12 ours.
13
14 Which is basically where we're at. Upstream came up with this /etc/
15 config modifying a package-specific default config somewhere else random
16 on the system idea because they didn't have a good etc-update, and now we
17 have to figure out the most sane way to try to integrate that with
18 gentoo's etc-update based system. If we'd have been able to propagate
19 etc-update or similar before they came up with their solution, we'd not
20 have this problem, but of course that's a historical if that we can't go
21 back and revisit... except in possibly trying to get something like etc-
22 update propagated now to reduce similar problems in the future.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman