From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel PCMCIA
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:20:13
1 Gert Dewit wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 1048, Chad wrote:
3 >>Gert Dewit wrote:
4 >>>I've posted following message on the gentoo-install forum, but I'd like to
5 >>>know from you guys why gentoo is using the non-kernel PCMCIA stuff from
6 >>>pcmcia-cs in the install initrd.
7 >>
8 >>Daniel put that on the install CD per my recommendation. My understanding
9 >>is that pcmcia-cs has newer/more drivers than the kernel. If this is no
10 >>longer correct, then we can certainly switch to kernel-only modules on the
11 >>CD in the future.
12 >
13 > I'm affraid it's not that simple. As up to kernel version 2.4.16 or so
14 > you were right that the pcmcia-cs drivers were more stable and had more
15 > supported cards. Today I'm not sure about the situation. As far as I
16 > know there are cards that are only supported by the kernel drivers
17 > (the D-Link DFE 690TXD I use for instance as well as other cards that
18 > are supported by their pci drivers) and there are cards that are only
19 > supported by the pcmcia-cs drivers.
20
21 I was afraid that would happen eventually.
22
23 > The best way to go I think is use the kernel PCMCIA infrastructure
24 > and drivers and add the pcmcia-cs "clients" (drivers) and cardmanager
25 > utils. I think this is the strategy the RedHat boys also use.
26
27 I don't understand how the two sets of modules could co-exist, but if it
28 is possible, then I am all for it.
31 > If you want me to check it out, just say so, I've got some spare time
32 > while my new gentoo system is building on my laptop.
33
34 By all means, please. Another option is to provide pcmcia-cs sources on
35 the CD, so that if someone really needs it, they can build them from a
36 stage2 system.