From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Discussion: alternative compatible utilities
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:31:42
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2
3 > Let me explain: on Gentoo/Linux systems, all the base utilities (make, tar,
4 > sed, etc etc) are GNUish; on Gentoo/FreeBSD they are BSDish; on Gentoo/Darwin
5 > I don't really know :P
6 > This limits a bit the user because to use other kind of utilities it must use
7 > aliases and he can't change, for example, the tar used by portage or by other
8 > scripts.
11 Surely it would be interesting for developer that want to make sure
12 their code will build in other userspaces w/out switching os,
13 and if that won't be so painful, would worth testing it.
14
15 Obviously having it now isn't really needed. Thinking about that when
16 committing/updating ebuild would be good.
17
18 ( still I do hate bsd core utils implementations but that is just my
19 opinion =) )
20
21 lu
25 Luca Barbato
26
27 Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
28 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list