From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] skel.ebuild cosmetics (move RESTRICT after DEPEND)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 23:25:32
1 >>>>> On Mon, 07 May 2012, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2
3 > On 05/07/2012 01:27 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> Are we now using behaviour of editors as a reference? With Emacs or
5 >> XEmacs, the template includes RESTRICT and places it before DEPEND
6 >> and RDEPEND.
7
8 > I would rather see RESTRICT dropped from the template included for
9 > emacs, because it's not expected for majority of ebuilds to have
10 > need for it (a fact).
11
12 So what? Then you just leave the variable empty. The template (or
13 rather "skeleton" in Emacs' terms) knows that the RESTRICT variable is
14 optional and will automatically remove the line.
15
16 > The template for emacs should be kept in sync with the example for
17 > vim (or whichever way around).
18
19 The skeleton for Emacs is kept in sync with skel.ebuild and the
20 devmanual, of course. I don't use vim and therefore I don't know what
21 its template does.
22
23 >>> Therefore I suggest we move this example a bit down in skel.ebuild
24 >>> as it's more logical to continue with new lines instead of applying
25 >>> in-between
26 >>
27 >>> Any objections?
28 >>
29 >> Yes. Please leave it as it is.
30
31 > Yeah, I will if someone has a (good) argument for doing so.
32
33 RESTRICT and PROPERTIES are on a single line and it's natural to add
34 them to the second group of such variables, namely LICENSE, SLOT,
35 KEYWORDS, and IUSE.
36
37 Whereas DEPEND and RDEPEND typically extend over several lines;
38 sometimes they are quite long. So, a RESTRICT line placed after
39 *DEPEND will be much more easily missed than in its current place.
40
41 Ulrich