From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 00:23:51
1 > On 24 Aug 2021, at 11:24, Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi All,
4 >
5 > We run glibc based systems. No musl. But we don't use systemd.
6 >
7 > As little as a year back we still ran into issues with systemd-udev
8 > variant breaking systems, the fix of course was to nuke it and install
9 > eudev. Are we certain there is nothing (eg, LVM integration was our
10 > biggest problem resulting in really crazy impossible to debug since we
11 > can't log in due to lvn snapshot creation/removal deadlocking with
12 > systemd-udev - no ask me not how, all I can tell you is that eudev never
13 > exhibited this behaviour) will break?
14
15 The problem is that this is a bit indirect. blueness could've easily
16 ended up backporting whatever commit causes your issue, if it is
17 indeed udev, because the idea wasn't to be frozen in time anyway;
18 this just kind of happened accidentally because of time commitments.
19
20 I appreciate this is going to be a huge pain to debug but reporting
21 this upstream is the only proper fix here.
24 > Whilst I fully appreciate the difficult of all the various e* packages
25 > (elogind, eudev etc ..) and I most certainly do not have the capacity to
26 > maintain, and therefore I'm in full support of the concept of
27 > deprecating eudev, I'm very, very worried about us suddenly being back
28 > into the reboot-a-server-a-week scenario. In the worst case we've lost
29 > some large filesystems almost certainly due to systemd-udev (we've had a
30 > number of filesystem crashes which was recovered with fsck, but after
31 > ditching systemd-udev and moving to eudev about two years back on this
32 > specific host we've had ZERO further problems other than a failed drive
33 > or two, none of which required a hard-reset to get back to a sane state).
34
35 I don't doubt this happened as I know you're a persistent debugger,
36 although my hope is that whatever issue you hit has been solved, especially
37 given udev is used by Debian/Fedora/RHEL and all the rest of it. But I accept
38 that if this was <= 1 year ago, that argument doesn't hold quite as much water.
39
40 I suppose it'd be worth looking to see if there were any kernel or LVM2 regressions
41 fixed around that time too.
42
43 best,
44 sam