From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 22:26:41
1 Chris Gianelloni kirjoitti:
2 > More and more, I am finding developers who are afraid to touch packages
3 > for even minor things if they're not the maintainer. This is a sad
4 > state of affairs and not the reason we have maintainers. We have
5 > maintainers to assure that a package is being taken care of, not to
6 > establish some kind of "territory" over that package. Because of this
7 > misconception, I would like to come up with and document a listing of
8 > things that any ebuild developer can feel free to do to any package
9 > *without* maintainer consent. These are generally all minor things, but
10 > things that I think are important. I'm going to list off the things
11 > that I can think of, and encourage everyone else to speak up if I've
12 > missed something.
15 I don't find anything wrong with doing the changes after you find that
16 the maintainer is not responsive. If the maintainer is responsive, he
17 will a) do the changes b) give you the permission to do it c) give
18 reasoning on why the proposed changes should not be done.
19
20 Regards,
21 Petteri