From: Mikko Moilanen <mikko.moilanen@×××××××××××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Fw: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:50:36
1 begin mistakes, sorry, corrected.
2
3 Begin forwarded message:
4
5 Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:59:59 +0300
6 From: Mikko Moilanen <mikko.moilanen@×××××××××××××.fi>
7 To: "Kevyn Shortell" <kevyn@×××.com>
8 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
11 On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 04:37:28 -0700
12 "Kevyn Shortell" <kevyn@×××.com> wrote:
13 > done just as much work, to make this distro what it is. Look at it from
14 > a marketing perspective. It's suicide to take a marketable name, and
15 > ruin it by adding GNU in front of it. Brand names are marketable because
16 > they are unique. They are memorable, they have a image associated with
17 > it. GNU/Linux, Just frankly is the worst marketing plan I've ever heard of.
18
19 Oh, I hope that Gentoo will never be so commercial that it will affect in development or naming. !Huh indeed.
20
21 > You could sell hair dryers to 60 year old bald men easier than trying to
22 > market ANYTHING called GNU/Gentoo Linux. In regards to Debian
23 > using the GNU tag... Debian was probably hoping to get more publicity
24 > from it, as they were in danger of well, ending up where they are...
25
26 Is this marketing some kind of objective in Gentoo? Should't it be developing an Operating System.
27
28 > I'd rather quit developing, than bow in to political pressure from RMS
29
30 Well, you could then leave this political discussion to me for example. I am very delighteful to see that in Gentoo there is also people which got some passion to these kind of things :D
33 Mikko
38 Mikko