From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:34:03
1 > On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 01:46:45PM +1100, Jonathan Adamczewski wrote:
2 >> Paludis is a tool used for working with the Gentoo Portage tree - there
3 >> is no problem with it being part of a Gentoo Google Summer of
4 >> Code project as it will benefit the Gentoo project and its users.
5 >
6 > Why not simply solve the situation by making paludis the mentoring
7 > organisation instead of Gentoo?
8
9 You assume that the paludis folks applied for mentoring org status and
10 were accepted; which didn't happen.
11
12 The Gentoo SoC team is aware of lingering issues regarding projects like
13 pkgcore and paludis and whatnot. I'd prefer we rank applications (and
14 applicants) based on the merits of their application as opposed to some
15 arbitrary political system. If it happens that someone submits a very
16 well thought out idea with defined goals, milestones, has a design plan
17 and seems to have decent merit but happens to be say, a paludis related
18 project; well I guess the other people should have submitted better
19 proposals. In the end most of the ranking and chosing of projects is a
20 huge judgement call by the SoC team and the mentors each year anyway.
21
22 Personally I think python bindings for paludis push the boundaries of
23 'does this project affect gentoo' while say, the project idea for 'adding
24 an ebuild development tool for paludis' does not push the boundaries. One
25 is only tangentially related (paludis happens to be a tool that uses
26 ebuilds) and the other could be more of a cross-project project, with 1
27 gentoo mentor and 1 paludis mentor. However my opinon (and most of this
28 ensuing discussion) is probably better served for when applications are
29 actually ranked. So in closing, we know, some of us don't care, we will
30 disuss it during ranking.
31
32 -Alec
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list